Connect with us

Health News

Mathon key workers isolating after 73 Covid-19 cases – BBC News

The vegetable pickers and packers will remain on the farm in Herefordshire while isolating.

Published

on

post featured image

Image copyrightGetty ImagesImage caption
The workers, who carry out picking and packing work, are being asked to remain on the farm
About 200 workers on a farm are isolating after 73 people tested positive for Covid-19.
The cases have been found among the workforce of vegetable producers AS Green and Co, based in Mathon in Herefordshire.
Workers are being asked to remain on the farm during a period of isolation, while Herefordshire Council arranges food and essential supplies.
The firm is also being supported by Public Health England (PHE).
It said its staff were its “priority”.
The workers, who carry out picking and packing work during the harvesting season, live in mobile homes on the farm, near Malvern, in Worcestershire.
As a precaution, the council said, they were being treated as “one extended bubble” and were staying within household groups on the farm.
Katie Spence, PHE Midlands health protection director, said the company had implemented a range of infection control measures, including on-site testing, social distancing in communal areas and the indoor packaging area, encouraging regular hand washing and promoting the use of face coverings in closed areas.
“Despite these measures, a small number of workers became symptomatic earlier this week and they and a few close contacts among the workforce were tested initially and found to be positive,” she said.
Karen Wright, director of public health for Herefordshire, said: “Prompt testing on the farm has allowed us to understand transmission and control the spread of infection.
“We continue to support the farm management, their workers, who form an important part of our local economy, and the local community through this challenging time.”
A spokesperson for AS Green added: “Our staff are our priority, they are hard-working key workers helping us provide food for the country during these unusual times.”
From 29 June to 5 July, Herefordshire had a rate of two new cases per 100,000 people, figures from Public Health England show. This compares with Leicester which had 116 cases per 100,000.
Overall, the Herefordshire council area had seen 749 cases as of 7 July.
Follow BBC West Midlands on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Send your story ideas to: [email protected]

Click here to view the original article.

Health News

US marks 160,000 virus deaths, talks stall – Australian Associated Press

Published

on


More than 160,000 people have died from COVID-19 in the United States, a Reuters tally shows, as President Donald Trump says he would unilaterally grant financial relief to Americans after talks with congressional Democrats stalled.

The grim milestone on Friday, which includes 10,000 deaths nationwide in the past nine days, comes as Americans and their political leaders remain divided over such issues as reopening schools, testing, business closures and mask…



Click here to view the original article.

Continue Reading

Health News

197 fined for breaching Vic virus rules – Australian Associated Press

Published

on


Almost 200 Victorians have been fined for breaching the state’s coronavirus restrictions, including a man caught breaking curfew to buy cigarettes and lollies. 

Victoria Police did 3554 spot checks on homes, businesses and public places in the 24 hours to Saturday morning, fining 197 people for breaching the chief health officer’s directions. 

Sixty-two were fined $1652 for breaching Melbourne’s 8pm-5am curfew, while a further 36 were penalised $200…



Click here to view the original article.

Continue Reading

Health News

142 people turned back at Qld border – Australian Associated Press

Published

on


More than 140 people have been turned away at the Queensland border after it closed to anyone from the ACT, NSW and Victoria, in a bid to keep coronavirus out of the state.

Queensland Police Services Chief Superintendent Mark Wheeler said 142 people – including 18 Queenslanders – were refused entry into the state after the border closed at 1am on Saturday.

“The 18 Queenslanders no doubt were extremely disappointed because there’s going to be…



Click here to view the original article.

Continue Reading

Trending