Set on 2,000 acres in Ayrshire, the residence was built between 1754 and 1759 for William Crichton-Dalrymple, 5th Earl of Dumfries, with Robert Adam as the lead architect. It was then extended in 1890 by Robert Weir-Schultz, and in a more than $60 million deal, the house and all of its contents were bought for the foundation with the King’s help in 2007.
It was a big financial gamble. Indeed, at the time of purchase, the then Prince of Wales admitted the decision was an “appalling…

